IEU members are increasingly reporting ageist employer actions including being “pushed” towards retirement.
Our union has heard from members in various sectors who believe they have been treated adversely due to their age.
Members have reported:
- being questioned about their retirement plans or “pushed” to make such plans;
- feeling pressured to exhaust leave balances;
- hearing negative comments about their capacity or work ethic;
- being less likely to have contracts renewed or receive on-going employment;
- being denied access to flexible work arrangements as part of a transition towards retirement; and
- being excluded from employment opportunities such as promotional roles.